Makes 4 burgers
650g venison mince
5 tbsp double cream
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ tbsp flat leaved parsley, chopped
½ tbsp chopped chives
4 crushed juniper berries
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
200g blue cheese
Olive oil for frying
1. Place the mince in a bowl. Season well. Using your hands or a fork, gently combine the seasoned meat with the cream, garlic, parsley, chives and juniper berries. Do not over mix, as the cooked burgers will be tough.
2. Gently shape the meat into 4 patties, or divide the meat and push each portion into a 10cm pastry cutter to make 4 burgers. Make a slight indentation in the top of each with your fingers.
3. Divide the cheese into 4 and shape each piece into a ball. Insert the cheese into the centre of the burgers and pull the meat back over the top to seal in the cheese.
4. Peel and thinly cut the shallots into rings. Heat the olive oil in a pan, and fry the shallots until crispy.
5. Preheat a heavy ridged griddle pan or barbeque until very hot. If using a pan, put in a little olive oil, and sear the burgers to seal in the juices. Cook for 2 minutes on each side, so that the cheese melts in the middle.
6. Serve the burger on lightly toasted rolls, topped with the shallots, along with slices of tomatoes, red onion and pickled gherkin or with a green salad.
tagged in Recipe