Coffee is a staple for most of us each morning, but we certainly shouldn’t limit it to our morning wake-up calls.
Here, De’Longhi have created this delicious cappuccino cake mixing life’s two essentials, coffee and chocolate, enjoy!
Serves: 8-10 Takes 15 minutes to make, 25-30 minutes to bake, plus cooling
•100g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
•50g cocoa powder
• 3 medium eggs
•90ml freshly made espresso coffee, cooled
•175g self-raising flour, sifted
•11⁄2 tsp baking powder
•275g caster sugar for the filling
•150ml double cream
• 1 tbsp strong espresso coffee
• 1 tbsp cold coffee grounds (the ones left over from making the coffee)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas mark 4. Grease and line the base and sides of 2 x 20cm round x 4cm deep loose- bottomed cake tins with a little butter and baking paper.
2. Whisk together 6 tablespoons of boiling water and the cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl, to form a smooth paste. Add all the remaining cake ingredients and whisk using an electric hand whisk until the mixture is smooth with a batter-like consistency.
3. Divide the cake mixture evenly between the prepared cake tins and smooth the surface.
4. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the cakes are firm to the touch and just shrinking from the sides of the tins. Remove the cakes from the oven and turn out straightaway onto wire racks. Leave to cool completely.
5. When ready to assemble the cake, whip the cream until it just holds it’s shape. Fold in the cooled coffee and coffee grounds, then spread the coffee cream over the base of 1 cake. Top with the other cake and serve, with a cup of your favourite coffee.
Have you tried this recipe? Let us know your thoughts by commenting below or tweeting us @FemaleFirst_UK
Cara Mason @cara_mason