- 30g butter
- 300g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 500g pack ready-made puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
- 12 tsp pesto sauce
- 200g grated mozzarella or Cheddar cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan oven 200°C, Gas Mark 7.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan and sauté the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle measuring about 40cm x 20cm. Use a 9cm plain cutter to stamp out 12 circles (re-rolling the trimmings).
- Arrange on 1 or 2 greased baking sheets.
- On each circle, score a border 1cm from the edge, all the way round, taking care not to cut right through the pastry. Brush the border with beaten egg and spread 1 tsp of pesto sauce over the inner circle of each one.
- Spoon the cooled mushrooms on top of the pesto sauce and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden brown. Serve while warm.
Cook's tip: If you're making these for a party or buffet, make them in advance then warm them through just before serving.
Recipe courtesy of 'Just Add Mushrooms' campaign from the Mushroom Bureau.
tagged in Recipe