- 3 tablespoons olive oil, reserving one 1 tablespoon for brushing
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 300g. Chestnut mushrooms, halved if small, quartered if large
- 1 small leek finely sliced
- 100g of spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices crusty bread
- 150g finely grated parmesan
- 5 large eggs
- 130ml milk
- Preparation: Brush one tablespoon of oil into a 12 inch oven safe pan (or a 9x13 baking dish)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and leeks and cook until they are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Arrange bread slices in a single layer in the skillet. Layer bread with mushroom mixture. Crack the eggs on top.
- Season with salt and pepper. Pour milk evenly over top and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake until the eggs are set, about 25-30 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of 'Just Add Mushrooms' campaign from the Mushroom Bureau.
tagged in Recipe