Serves 4 to 6
- 220ml (a bottle) Jack Daniel's Hot Pepper Steak Sauce
- 700g beef stewing steak or rump steak, cut into 3cm chunks
- 2 large carrots, cut into thick rings
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 150g button mushrooms or field mushrooms, quartered
- 400ml water
- 1 beef stock cube
- 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 75g flour or, for richer beef flavour, add gravy granules
- 500g puff or shortcrust pastry
- 1/2 egg whisked or 1tbsp milk
- Sea salt, crushed
- Baby new potatoes
- Fresh parsley - roughly chopped
- Fresh sugar snap or frozen garden peas
- Place the carrots, onions, beef and full bottle of Hot Pepper Steak sauce, and water into a slow cooker or casserole dish, crumble in 1 beef stock cube and place the lid on.
- If using a slow cooker - cook on low heat for eight to nine hours or a high heat for four hours depending on the amount of time you have.
- If using a conventional oven, use a casserole dish with a lid and cook for 2 hours at 325F/170C/Gas Mark 3.
- Once all ingredients are tender, add the mushrooms, water and sifted flour or stir in the gravy granules to thicken.
- Take the lid off the casserole dish or (if you've used a slow cooker) pour into a casserole dish and gently top with rolled puff pastry - brush the topper with the whisked egg or milk to glaze and pinch the sides to make sure the topper is secure. Optionally, sprinkle with a light coating of crushed sea salt.
- Turn the oven up to 400F/200C/Gas Mark 6 and bake for approximately 30 minutes until pastry is golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with buttered baby new potatoes, chopped parsley and peas.
tagged in Recipe