Total time: 25 minutes
- 300g potatoes, peeled
- 1 large courgette
- 1 large onion
- 1 red chili, finely chopped
- 1 medium egg
- 1tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2tbsp olive oil
Tip: Great served with grilled steak and sautéed curly kale
- On the coarsest side of your grater, grate the potato, courgette and onion into a clean t-towel and squeeze all the excess water out of the vegetables.
- Place the vegetables into a large mixing bowl and combine well with the egg, chili and thyme. Season with salt and milled pepper.
- Place a large frying pan over a medium-low heat and add 1 tbsp of the olive oil. When hot add the potato mixture, gently pressing to smooth over the top.
- Leave cooking away for about 7-8 minutes until golden and crisp. Now invert the potato onto a plate, so the crispy side is uppermost, return the pan to the heat. Add the last of the olive oil and when hot slide the potato back into the pan to crisp up the underside.
Tip: Whilst this is cooking grill some steak to your liking and steam some curly kale. Slice the steak over the potato and pop the kale to one side and serve at the table from the pan.
This is also a great potato dish served with crispy bacon, roasted tomato and fried egg or sliced avocado, lime, coriander and sour cream. The choice is yours!
If you don't have a courgette then try using, squash, beetroot, parsnip, or simply keep it as potato.
As part of the Potatoes: More than a Bit on The Side campaign, AHDB and Bord Bia (the Irish Food Board) have created a range of quick and healthy recipes to inspire people and help them appreciate that potatoes can provide a wide range of tasty meal solutions throughout the week. Potatoes are naturally fat-free and so incredibly versatile, they can be cooked in countless delicious and exciting ways.
The recipes showcase the potential of potatoes for people with busy lifestyles, looking for something healthy and different to whipup easily mid-week. You can find more fantastic and nutritious potato recipes, which are all less than 500 calories per portion and can be ready in as little as 20 minutes, at www.lovepotatoes.co.uk / www.potato.ie.
tagged in Recipe