To-do lists always seem to be growing in work, yet the days feel like they're getting shorter. That's why it's difficult sometimes to stop and realise that we do actually need a break.
Brits are losing valuable days of annual leave because they’re too anxious to take the time off that they’re entitled to.
New research by TravelSupermarket has found that only 75 per cent of all full-time British workers took their entire holiday entitlement over the past 12 months while six per cent still had seven days or more left in the bank when it expired.
Of those who regularly take time off throughout the year, one in five admitted they return to work feeling more anxious than before they left.
TravelSupermarket’s travel expert Bob Atkinson says: “The best advice I can give all UK workers is to be organised well in advance, this will help you to book, and keep, your holiday allocation. If you’re planning a summer getaway, now really is the time to start looking into flights and accommodation to not only make sure you bag the best bargain but also to have something to look forward to.
“As hard as it may be, switching off your phone while you’re away will not only make your holiday more enjoyable, it will make your companion or family’s trip even better. There’s nothing worse than holidaying with someone who is continually taking calls or responding to emails. If you can’t go cold turkey, try and check your phone just once a day and you’ll feel more relaxed and less anxious for it."
Bob Atkinson’s top tips for making the most of your annual leave in 2012:
- Book your time off, flights and accommodation as early as possible to avoid disappointment
- Switch off! Turn your Blackberry or smartphone off while you’re away or if you have to, check it once a day
- If you’re running low on annual leave or want to make it last longer, book your holidays around this year’s Bank Holiday bonanza
- Don’t feel guilty. If you’re entitled to annual leave, you need to use it or lose it because at the end of the day, you’ve earned it
- Step out of your comfort zone! If you go somewhere completely different you won’t be reminded of home or the office and should return to work feeling refreshed and relaxed. If you need inspiration visit TravelSupermarket.com