Holland See Off Uruguay To Reach World Cup Final

Holland See Off Uruguay To Reach World Cup Final

The Netherlands now have a twenty five match winning streak as they became the first side into the 2010 World Cup final with q 3-2 win over Uruguay.

It was an un and down match at best as both sides seemed to lack ideas and conviction at times before bursting into life for spells of compelling football.

Bert van Marwijk's side were the heavy favourites going into the match after seeing off the Brazilian challenge in the quarter finals but Uruguay had played some great football through the rounds to ensure that they were the surprise South American side of the tournament.

It was a bright side from both sides and while Uruguay did have more of the possession the first chance fell to the Dutch in only the fourth minute.

Robben sent a cross into the box and Uruguay's keeper Muslera failed to get the ball away allowing to Dirk Kuyt to get in a shot from just twelve yards, but he squandered the chance as he sent the ball over the crossbar.

Kuyt was involved in the action again just minutes later as he sent a superb cross in but Robben just couldn't get his head on the ball and another chance passed them by.

After piling on the pressure Holland got their nose ahead in the eighteenth minute with a wonder strike from Giovanni van Bronckhorst which had Muslera well and truly beaten.

Bronckhorst was on a run down the left flank and with his trusty left foot fired for home from forty one yards straight into the top corner to put his side ahead.

The Dutch could easily have added more to their goal tally as both Robben and van Persie teased the Uruguay defence. The South American side were struggling to forge chances of their own and seemed to be missing Suarez who was on the bench because of his handball antics in the quarterfinal.

Towards the end of the opening half Uruguay seemed to pick up the pace as Pereira forced a save from Stekelenburg, who had had little to do in the opening forty five minutes.

But four minutes before the whistle Uruguay's main man Diego Forlan unleashed a thundering strike of his own to level the score. The striker picked up the ball thirty five yards out before curling it into the net to see his side come of the field at half time level at 1-1.

He could have got a second before time was up but Stekelenburg managed to keep the strike out of the goal.

The Dutch keeper had a heart stopping moment at the beginning of the second half while he beat Cavani to the ball he failed to clear properly and it was left to Bronkhorst to clear a shot from Pereira.

There may have been plenty of excitement at the end of the first half but both teams seemed to settle into the early stages of the second half.

Finally in the seventieth minute Holland seemed to come alive again as Sneijder found the back of the goal once again, deflected off Maxi Pereira and off the post.

And Holland seemed to have sealed victory just three minutes later when a cross from Kuyt found the head of Robben who sent the ball home to give the Dutch a 3-1 lead.

Maxi Pereira did get one goal back for Uruguay in the first minute of added time and while the South American side continue to battle in the dying minutes of the game it wasn't to be enough and Holland progressed through to the final with a 3-2 win.

Spain and Germany battle it out tonight for the right to face Holland on Sunday.

FemaleFirst Helen Earnshaw

by for www.malextra.com
find me on and follow me on