Rafael Nadal

Rafael Nadal

Rafael Nadal looked more comfortable on court as his fourth round clash with Gilles Muller resumed under blue skies at Flushing Meadows yesterday.

The defending champion have voiced his safety fears twenty four hours earlier after being called to play on a wet court in the rain.

As play got underway Nadal was a break down trailing 0-3 after making a tentative start in the difficult condition the day before.

But Nadal soon recovered the break before putting pressure on the Muller serve once again in the eleventh game - squandering a host of break point chances.

A tie break was required and it was here were the former world number one really broke the spirit of his opponent taking it 7-1.

Into the second and the Spaniard was well in control as Muller struggled with the power and speed that Nadal was displaying.

Nadal has slowly got better and better throughout the tournament and looked to be getting close to his best as he dropped just a single game in the second set to take it 6-1.

There was some resistance from Muller at the beginning of the second as he broke Nadal to lead 2-0 but the Spaniard hit back immediately as he went on the run of six straight games to wrap up the win 7-6(7-1), 6-1, 6-2.

He will now face American Andy Roddick in the quarter final and Nadal is expecting a tough match later today.

Speaking to the ATP after the match he said: "He's having one of the best careers, being among the top players for, I don't know, 11 years, 10 years, nine years. That's a lot. That's amazing.

"So I have big respect for Andy, especially he's very tough to be there for a long time and he did. Quarter-finals, the matches must be very tough, and that's what's going to happen. It's going to be a very difficult match against Andy."

The sun may have been shining over Flushing Meadows but there were still problems for Andy Roddick and David Ferrer as their match was one again temporarily suspended after a crack on the Louis Armstrong court began leaking water.

With no solution to fix the problem in site Roddick and Ferrer were moved to court thirteen and the match was, finally, able to get underway.

Roddick was already an early break to the good after the only passage of play on Wednesday. And the court switch didn't seem to have nay impact on the concentration of the American as he took the opening set 6-3.

Into the second and Roddick was playing some of the best tennis of the year as he extended his lead further by taking the set.

But Ferrer is know as a battler and hit back in the third before getting an early break in the fourth - it looked the match was destined to go the distance.

But Roddick but a stop to any ideas Ferrer had of going to five as he broke back before wrapping up a 6-3 6-4 3-6 6-3 win.

FemaleFirst Helen Earnshaw


by for www.malextra.com
find me on and follow me on